Welcome back to the 2nd The Ordinary product breakdown and 1st impressions!
If you have not read the blog post on the introduction to The Ordinary, please click here. So you can have a rough idea and understand better.
Here are the links to the other products that I bought, did my 1st impressions and breakdown:
*Buffet* -> Click Me!
Alpha Arbutin 2% + HA -> No! Click Me!
Caffeine Solution 5% + EGCG -> Oh! Me ME!!
Ascorbyl Glucoside Solution 12% -> Up to you but you can click me!
Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2% -> Coming soon
Azelaic Acid Suspension 10% -> Coming soon
Also, it would be great if you can share this with your friends and follow me on Instagram! I am trying to increase my blog followers to 1k and Instagram to 10k by the end of this year. It would really mean it to me if you can help out! The link to my Instagram is on the side ->>>
So that is said, let’s begin!
Note: If you want to go straight to the 1st Impression, just go to the bottom of this post.
First thing first!
This is not a sponsored blog post or anything like that. DECIEM company or The Ordinary brand does not even know that I am doing this or know me for that matter. I am simply doing this so it can help you. Especially for those who are planning to buy their products as it can get very confusing.
I am not a skin specialist, esthetician, doctor, scientist or anything like that. I am just an Ordinary woman (Got it? Hahaha!) who really love skin care and gain knowledge about it. What works for me might not work for you. I am just giving recommendations, trying to put it into layman terms for you to understand the science and usage on these products. Everybody’s skin is different. So work with your skin and listen to it. I am not you so I would not know your skin better than you do. If the recommendations do not work for you then do not follow it and try something else. Please do not scold or say me for recommending something that does not work for you.
Everybody read and see things differently. The way I interpret and summarize these terms and meaning makes it easier for me to understand. So if you do not understand, I have added the links to where I got most of my information from. You can go straight to the main source.Also, the recommendations given are based on the ingredient list and my 1st impression on where to put it. It might change in the future after experimenting with it for a while. Will let you know about that in the final review!
Also, the recommendations given are based on the ingredient list and my 1st impression on where to put it. It might change in the future after experimenting with it for a while. Will let you know about that in the final review!
Matrixyl* 10% + HA
What is it:
A High-Strength Peptide Formulation
What are peptide?:
They are active molecules that made of amino acid. They can become protein when the chain of the amino acid is long while the short chain can enter into the top layer of the skin and inform the skin cells what to do. This leads to the building of new collagen and you know what that means!
Formula / Format:
Water Solution, Liquid
5.0 – 6.0
To reduce or soften the look of static and dynamic wrinkles
Pros/Benefits of Peptide:
- Increase skin’s smoothness
- Increase skin’s firmness
- Give the appearance of a younger looking skin
- Helps to repair skin damage
- Increase collagen in the skin
- Increase skin elasticity
- Revitalize the skin
- Make the skin more resilient and supple
- Decrease the depth of the wrinkles and fine lines
Cons/Detriment about Peptide:
- Need to keep using it
- Once you stop using them, the effect goes away and you can see the difference
- Only able to see results in about 1 to 3 months
Contradictions / Conflicts:
Best Pair / Combinations:
Literally, every routine as this is such a beautiful versatile product.
Another pairing would be after botox or any lifting injections targeting at wrinkles. If you do them. I do not personally do them but it is scientifically proven that it helps to maintain or prolong the effects of those injections.
Argireline Solution 10%
(Similar in terms of being a peptide product and focus on wrinkles or anti-aging)
AM or PM:
The Ordinary Recommendations Directions:
Apply it day and night before oils and creams
Before oils and creams
Lydia’s Recommendations on Where to put this:
After your main focus of highly active products or after your 1st essence/toner OR as an eye serum OR as a neck serum
Main difference between Matrixyl and Buffet
For what I said earlier for the previous product, it goes the same thing with this product. However, there are 2 main things that are different.
1. pH level
- Matrixyl (5-6 pH) has a higher pH level compare to Buffet (4.5 -5.5 pH).
- Matrixyl does not need a pH adjusting toner for it to achieve the highest level of effectiveness possible, unlike Buffet. You can use this right after cleansing if you use a low pH cleanser which is great!
- If you want to be safe or cautious about it, you can still use a toner underneath it.
- Example: Cleansing -> (Optional: Toner) -> Matrixyl
Side Note: There is a huge discussion on whether needing to know the pH level of every single product in your skincare routine, due to a lot of reasons. To me, I need to roughly know pH level for certain products as my skin will get irritated if the pH level of my skin and the product I am putting on is very different. Another reason is more for a scientific purpose for those products that pH level plays a huge role in the effectiveness. That’s about it. Hence, if the pH level doesn’t really concern you, then just ignore it.(:
- Buffet has a wider variety of peptides compare to Matrixyl.
- The 2 peptide ingredients inside Matrixyl are Matrixyl 3000 and Matrixyl Synthe’6 which Buffet has.
- However, the Matrixyl 3000 is different in Buffet and Matrixyl. In Matrixyl, it is palmitoyl tetrapeptide-7 and not palmitoyl-pentapeptide 35
- I am not sure about Buffet concentrate percentage on just Matrixyl 3000 and Matrxyl Synthe’6 as they only inform the concentrate on the total main ingredients.
- Buffet -> 25.1%
- Matrxyl ->10%
Western only Skincare Routine
pH adjusting Toner -> BHA -> AHA -> Vitamin Cs (L-Ascorbic Acid)> Matrixyl
Matrixyl -> Vitamin As / Niacinamide
Cleansing -> (Optional:Toner) ->Matrixyl -> Serums
- It doesn’t matter where you put it if you use it as an eye or a neck serum.
Western and Korean Skincare Routine
Vitamin Cs (L-Ascorbic Acid)-> 1st essence/toner or your 3/7 skin method hydrating essence/toner -> Buffet -> Moisturiers
Vitamin As -> Niacinamide -> Buffet -> Serum (Thicker consistency then Buffet) -> Moisturiers
- Think Matrixyl as your 2nd essence or serum step
- The same rule applies. Thinner consistency and viscosity first but make sure the pH level is from low to high. pH level is more important to me at least (Read the pH level section above).
- You can use Matrixyl to do your 3/7 layering if you want since there is no alcohol.
- Since this has a higher viscosity (But lower viscosity than *Buffet* compare to those 1st essences like IOPE Bio Essence Intensive Conditioning.
- But I wouldn’t suggest doing that as this is more of wrinkle based product and have lesser hydrating/moisturizing ingredients compare to *Buffet*. I would recommend using another product that focuses on hydrating instead.
- It doesn’t matter where you put it if you use it as an eye or a neck serum.
TIP: If you do not do any botox or lifting injections, I personally like to put this on areas where I have fine lines. Like at my smile lines, around the eyes, forehead, and neck.
Main ingredients and technology:
- Matrixyl 3000 peptide complex (with palmitoyl tetrapeptide-7)
- Reduce skin inflammation and accompanying skin damage
- Stimulate the regeneration of collagen fibers in the dermis
- By acting sort of a cellular messenger
- Increase the amount of hyaluronic acid in the skin = more moisture and tighten the skin!
- Deliver other anti-aging ingredients deeper into the skin tissues = Increase effects of other products
- Improve skin texture and uneven skin tones
- If you want to know more information, this website did a great job in making it easier for you to understand. http://www.thedermreview.com/palmitoyl-tetrapeptide-7/
- Matrixyl Synthe’6 Peptide complex (with palmitoyl tripeptide-38)
- Regulates cell activity
- Regulates wound repair
- Remodel and increase Collagen Tissues
- Gives a lifting effect
Total concentrate of 10% by weight in a specialized Hyaluronic Acid delivery system. = Matrixyl 3000 + Matrixyl Synthe’6 + Hyaluronic Acid = 10%
Aqua (Water), Glycerin, Butylene Glycol, Palmitoyl Tripeptide-1, Palmitoyl Tetrapeptide-7, Palmitoyl Tripeptide-38, Sodium Hyaluronate, Hydroxypropyl Cyclodextrin, PPG-26-Buteth-26, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Polyacrylate Crosspolymer-6, Trisodium Ethylenediamine Disuccinate, Carbomer, Polysorbate 20, Ethoxydiglycol, Phenoxyethanol, Chlorphenesin.
Matrixyl is different compared to Buffet than I initially thought. Despite being both a peptide serum. Here is my first impression on Matrixyl and I have added a table after my 1st impression to show you the difference in these two. I do not have Argireline Solution 10% so I cannot tell you the difference.
- Transparent / Colourless
- Thin consistency. Slightly thicker compare to water
- Feels like a hydrating toner/essence
- A small drop goes a long way = High spreadability
- Sinks into the skin fast = High absorption rate
- Gives a tightening effect
- Leave a slightly tacky or sticky feeling that goes away after moisturizer
- NO FRAGRANCE!!! YAY!!!!
- Give a healthy glow finish and an appearance of a smoother skin
A Summary difference between Buffet and Matrixyl:
|Consistency||Thicker, More like a high viscosity toner||Thinner, More like toner/ thicker essence|
|Spreadability||High but it’s slightly higher due to the higher viscosity||High but it’s slightly lower due to the lower viscosity|
|Absorption rate||High but faster due to the “lower water” consistency||High but slightly slower due to the “high water” consistency|
|Tightening and Plumping Effect||Slightly. Have about the same or to the minimal difference as seen in the effects||Slightly. Have about the same or to the minimal difference was seen in the effect|
|Tacky / Sticky Feeling (After)||Leaves a slightly tacky feeling||Leaves a slightly tacky feeling|
|Immediate Effect||Does give an appearance of a smoother skin. Do not give a healthy glow like Matrixyl did.||Does leave a healthy glow finish and gives an appearance of a smoother skin|
Thank you for reading! I will be doing a full product review on this product with the results and effects it gives me in more detail. More of this posts will be out soon! Look out for it!
Please follow, like and share! Thank you so much! ♥ (:
For those who want the link to the different website that sells them, I have linked them on the The Ordinary Introducing Brand post.